Rocketry Club brings new opportunities to campus life

Bakers+newest+student+organization+allows+participants+to+build+their+own+rockets+and+learn+more+about+the+subject.+

Josephine Moore

Baker’s newest student organization allows participants to build their own rockets and learn more about the subject.

Story by Maya Hodison, Staff Writer

Baker University has added a new opportunity for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) students and those interested in such fields. The addition of the Rocketry Club will allow students to build their own rockets and explore rocketry as a whole.

Baker’s Rocketry Club is a student-run organization that gives students the opportunity to learn more about rockets and the science behind them.

Rather than presenting the information formally, the organization aims to provide its members with experiences, like experimenting with launch simulators, building and launching model rockets and enjoying movie nights.

Freshman Jackson Stoppel founded the organization in March, turning his love for science into a chance for students to explore their interests outside of the classroom and without the stress of being graded. Having fun is the primary goal.

“Jackson Stoppel is very passionate about science. A club led by him is bound to be a good time,” Freshman Mason Mecke said.

Mecke joined Rocketry Club after taking an interterm course entitled “Introduction to Applied Rocketry,” which he thoroughly enjoyed. He is most excited to make his own model rocket, customize it and launch it.

As the faculty advisor to the organization, Assistant Professor of Chemistry Jamin Perry offers ideas and advice. He is responsible for filing Test Procedure Specification (TPS) reports as well.

“My hope is that it will offer another avenue for students to socialize and have fun while learning a little about science and engineering,” Perry said.

The group has claimed 11 official members so far and has piqued the attention of others.

“[Rocketry Club] gives good opportunities to STEM majors, which is a group that is not represented very well in terms of student organizations,” Stoppel said.

Although there are two established STEM-related academic organizations on campus, including Baker Computer Science Club++ (BCSC++) and the Exercise Science Student Alliance, Rocketry Club is a unique addition.

According to Mecke, the organization could also be beneficial to non-STEM majors who want to casually explore science. Since there is no major requirement, the club is open for all students to join.

As the spring semester is winding down, the group is currently focusing on creating an initial bond. They plan to watch a movie and get pizza together before finals.

In addition, the organization is building ideas for next school year. In the future, they hope to enter members into rocket-building competitions, which can also serve as a fun way for STEM majors to add experience to their resumes.

“We just want to give people an opportunity to have a good time, and I feel like rocketry is a great outlet to do that,” Mecke said.