Baker University welcomes Kaitlyn Powell as new Assistant Director of Student Activities

Kinsley Alley

Kaitlyn Powell started as Baker University’s new Assistant Director of Student Activities on May 3.

Baker University welcomed Kaitlyn Powell to the Baker family on May 3. Powell is the newest addition to the student life team, fulfilling the role of Assistant Director of Student Activities.

Starting a new job right at the end of the school year was different, but it has given Powell a chance to get acclimated before the next academic term begins.

“I have the opportunity right now to learn what my role will look like and also see what areas students want to see changes in,” Powell said.

Though Powell is new to Baker, she is familiar with the small town environment that Baldwin City possesses. Powell grew up in Council Grove, Kan. and is incredibly close with her family members and friends who surrounded her.

Though she loved the tight-knit community she was raised in, Powell was ready to branch out when it came time for college. Her loved ones always supported her.

Powell attended Emporia State University in Emporia, Kan. in 2014. There, she landed an on-campus job as a student assistant in the Admissions Office. Throughout her four years of undergraduate school, she was involved in multiple activities, like sorority life, orientation leadership, being an ambassador and more.

Powell graduated from Emporia State with her bachelor’s degree in 2018.

Because of her involvement and the connections she made, Powell soon realized her aspirations to work in higher education. But first, she decided to make graduate school her next step.

Powell pursued her master’s degree in education, specifically College Student Development, at Oklahoma State University in 2018. She graduated in May of 2020, and even though she could not enjoy a traditional graduation celebration due to COVID-19 restrictions, Powell was content because of what she had accomplished despite adversity.

Soon after, Powell landed a job at Kansas State University as an Administration Assistant in July of 2020. She gained experience in the academic affairs side of higher education administration there for about 10 months.

Though she is grateful for what she learned, Powell soon recognized the academic arena is not where her excitement lies.

Along with her career passion, Powell is passionate about advocating for mental health in every phase of life, and being adventurous. She values kindness, faith and communication and aims to implement them in her everyday life.

The connections Powell made throughout her life, along with her passions and assets, helped her find her dream job at Baker.

Powell knew former Director of Student Life Randy Flowers from a National Association of Campus Activities (NACA) conference she had attended while at Oklahoma State.

She remembers seeing Flowers post about the job opening, and she was immediately interested. After all, working in student activities rather than academic affairs is ultimately what she wanted to do. After going through the employment process, Powell was hired at Baker.

Some of Powell’s responsibilities will include serving as the advisor to Student Activities Council (SAC) and Student Senate. She will also work with intramurals, student organizations and leadership development programming.

Director of Student Life Macy Warburton, who recently joined the student life team at Baker on Mar. 29, will be working closely with Powell. Powell will report to Warburton.

Warburton believes Powell is a great addition to the student life team.

“Our student life team is full of people with unique skills and strengths, allowing us to come alongside each other and make a well-rounded and robust team,” Warburton said. “Kaitlyn will no doubt bring a spark of energy and creativity.”

Coming off of a year dictated by COVID-19 restrictions, student activities have not looked the same as previous years.

Powell hopes to find ways to get students active and involved again as safety rules ease up next year, allowing for more freedom. She plans to help students have the most fulfilling college experience possible.

“I am so excited to build relationships with students,” Powell said. “I want to help others leave a mark and make the impact they want to make during their college years.”