Mungano hosts National First-Generation Student day

In honor of National First-Generation Student Day, Mungano hosted tabling in the Long Student Center to pass out treats and festive pins. Since 2017, Nov. 8 marks the day to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of first-generation students on campus and to show campus-wide support.

Senior Ajhanae Franklin serves as the First-Generation College Student Committee Leader for Mungano, so she helped organize and run the event. She said the hope of the tabling was to bring comfort to students on campus who might still feel uncomfortable with the unknowns of being a first-generation student, especially freshmen.

“I did it because I am a first-gen and I remember coming to school and not having people, so I wanted to bring a group of people together so that when I’m gone they have other people to go to,” Franklin said.

Sophomore Jackie De La Fuente stopped by the table to grab a “First Gen” pin to raise awareness for her fellow first-generation students on campus.

“I think it’s important and I really like that it’s acknowledged here because with me not having my parents to help me out with applying to college or nursing school now, it’s really difficult,” De La Fuente said. “It’s nice to know that these events can point out other first gens to me and I can see ‘oh, we’re going through this together’.”

Whether students grabbed a cookie, a “First Gen” pin or a pin showing their support for students who are, Mungano’s goal was to raise awareness to all first-generation students on campus.