Sunrise Yoga goes on despite rain

Taking+the+lead%2C+a+yoga+instructor+from+the+local+OmGrown+yoga+studio+demonstrates+a+balance+exercise+to+sunrise+yoga+participants.+

Caitlin Mooney

Taking the lead, a yoga instructor from the local OmGrown yoga studio demonstrates a balance exercise to sunrise yoga participants.

Sunrise Yoga, sponsored by Baker’s Student Activities Council, returned for another year during Homecoming week. However, it looked different than years past due to cool and rainy fall weather.

The event was originally scheduled to happen at 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 22. The event was later moved into the Union basement to avoid rain and cold temperatures.

OmGrown yoga studio, located in downtown Baldwin City, provided the instructor for the event. Though the studio provides several other resources, like massages and sauna sessions, their main focus is on instructor-led yoga classes. Student pricing is available for $30 a month with unlimited access to online and in-person yoga classes.

According to a study conducted by the Journal of Medical Humanities, doing yoga in the morning can help to boost energy throughout the day. Some of the student attendees who attended the event also reported feeling better after taking some time for yoga in the morning.

“It definitely made me feel less tired throughout the day,” freshman Alexandria Poling said. “I’d love to do it again.”

SAC has held this event during homecoming week for the last three years and has seen a few different locations, as it’s usual location is the union den. Whether due to COVID-19 guidelines or outdoor conditions, Sunrise Yoga has gone on despite all odds to give students an escape from the mid-semester madness.