Job-seekers receive résumé help

From tips about how to summarize a previous job, the amount of detail generally used, to what size font is appropriate, the Career Development Center Résumé Workshop Tuesday provided aid for all majors.

Director of the CDC Susan Wade said she has been leading résumé workshops every semester since she can remember.

“I think having these workshops really helps students give them a structure with where to begin with their résumé or how to add to it,” Wade said. “In my opinion, having a group setting is more beneficial to everyone because it lets me give examples of what others have been or currently are involved in.”

Giving useful Web sites and guidelines of what to do and what not to do on a résumé, Wade said the first step of starting a résumé is typically the hardest part.

“What I recommend when starting a résumé is to use the template off of the Baker University’s CDC Web site,” she said. “There are some really good examples of past résumés that students can go off of, not to mention the templates are up-to-date and are easy to read.”

Freshman Katie Mercer has started her résumé, but said she needed help with revision and a cover letter.

“One of the main reasons I wanted to come to this particular workshop was because applications for Residence Assistant are coming up, and I thought attending the class would help me make my résumé stand out,” she said. “I haven’t worked with Susan Wade before, but am looking forward to meeting with her 1-on-1 to work on my résumé even more.”

With much experience in revising résumés, Wade said she loves helping students obtain what they want theirs to say and look like.

“I am very comfortable around résumés, and most of what I will talk to you about is from my past experiences with students,” she said. “I do a much better job editing out certain things then to create it from the beginning, but I will always do whatever is takes to help.”

Senior Kelly Dunn said she has already started her résumé but wanted to know a little bit more about what companies are really looking for.

“Even though it was a group setting, I think for my own benefit a 1-on-1 meeting with Susan would have been better so I could ask her more specific questions,” Dunn said. “Since I am a senior, I should probably already know the basics, but I do need help putting the final touches on my résumé.”

With spring finally here and more opportunities for advancement in the career process, Wade said she hopes it will get students ready to get involved in what all the CDC has to offer.

“Having these workshops is such a good way of getting the word around that you do not have to pay someone to help with a résumé,” she said. “Everyone is in the same boat, and we are just here to help.”