Variety of voices featured this fall

Variety of voices featured this fall

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013. Due to a change in the content management systems, the initial publication date in not available. 

Baker University’s choir kicks off the year Oct. 9, bringing a twist to the performance involving guest singers.

Professor of Music John Buehler said even though there is a twist to the line up the performance itself, which will begin at 7:30 p.m. in Rice Auditorium, is still somewhat of a typical annual choir concert, just featuring guest choir this time.

“We will be having the Baldwin City High School choir come and perform with us,” Buehler said. “They’ve got a great choral program there, and we are eager to share the stage with them.”

Associate Professor of Music Susan Buehler said she is anticipating the performances of both the Baker and the high school choirs.

“Each year Dr. Buehler tries to invite the high school’s honor choir to come sing with us and it is always so nice to have everyone under one roof singing together,” she said.

“I think it’s a good thing for our students to hear the high school students perform and vice versa.”

With three sections of Baker’s choir singing in addition to the high school choir, Buehler said it should be a show to remember.

“The University Singers, Chamber Singers and the Concert Choir will be performing, and every single piece that will be performed will be wonderful,” he said. “We will be starting with the Baker choirs, end with the high school choir and have a grand finale of the combination of all four choirs.”

Senior Jessica Lenhart said she participates in both the Concert Choir and the Chamber Singers and is excited to finally perform what they have been working on since the beginning of the school year.

“The fall concert is always fun, especially bringing in the high school choir and hearing what they have been working on,” Lenhart said. “The grand finale will be something to look forward to since we are having everybody sing all at once.”

Senior Jeremy Frye said even though this is not the first time performing for or with high school students, it is always memorable for both sides.

“It will be a really good experience for the high school students to see where we have come from and to show them where they are capable of going,” Frye said. “There are different tones and overall sounds for both, and I know it will be a really good performance for everyone.”

With hopes of high attendance, John Buehler said anyone who attends will enjoy themselves.

“For no charge, the performance Tuesday night will be no way indicative of the value they will be getting,” he said