Resume, interview help avaiable with CDC intern

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013.  Due to a change in content management systems, the initial publication date is not available.

The Career Development Center, which helps students set up internships, write résumés and prepare for employment, has added its own student internship position.

Senior Josh McDaniel is the CDC’s first intern, and though it doesn’t pay, he believes the job is very exciting and helpful to students.

“I do mock interviews with students for internships and help them write résumés, or help fix them up,” McDaniel said. “I have had a handful of résumés so far that I’ve helped with. It makes the students become comfortable and they are relieved that their résumés look better.”

The internship has helped prepare McDaniel, a business minor, for his future career in human resources and recruiting. McDaniel could have graduated last spring, but decided to stay for the fall semester, partly to fill the position.

“I want to get as much experience as I can, so when I graduate I can be ready for my career,” he said.

Susan Wade, director of the career development center, said McDaniel came to her about the position.

“I wasn’t looking for an intern at first,” she said. “Josh wanted to be one. What he was looking for worked for us.”

Wade believes the position is positive for both McDaniel and the CDC.

“Having Josh is a great experience, and we appreciate the work that he is doing,” she said.

When McDaniel finishes his internship, the position will open up for other students.

“I would definitely want to have a CDC intern again,” Wade said.

For students interested in the position for next semester, Wade said they must have taken human resource classes, be flexible, be far along toward their degree and must be able to show how the internship is relevant to their major.

CDC has made some other new additions. Kelly Burns, assistant director of career development center, is experiencing her first year in the program.

“I think that the CDC is amazing,” Burns said. “Students are learning how to write résumés. It probably makes the transition a lot easier from college to the real world.”

Burns said companies looking for interns can send information to the CDC, and someone will post it on the CDC Web site: www.bakeru.edu/cdc.

“Students can research online and download the application. They can bring in information and Susan or I can look over it,” she said.

McDaniel said a lot of students utilize the CDC’s resources.

“I’m surprised that there are so many coming to me for help,” he said. “It’s a lot busier than what I thought it would be.”

McDaniel graduates in December, but for the rest of the semester he will be in the CDC a couple days each week to provide help to anyone who needs it.