Language and culture showcased

Story by Kirbee Yost

This article was originally published prior to June 2, 2013. Due to a change in the content management systems, the initial publication date in not available. 

The Baker University language and literature department is bringing a little foreign culture to the campus through a film series this academic year.

The series opened Oct. 19 with the German film “Run Lola Run” and will continue throughout both the fall and spring semesters with films in German, Spanish and French. Associate Professor of French Erin Joyce said showing the films has multiple benefits.

“I think it’s a good way to increase cultural awareness on campus,” she said. “I think it just gives everybody on campus the chance to see films they normally wouldn’t see on a big screen.”

Assistant Professor of Spanish Pablo La Rosa said students can learn more from the movies than just the language.

“We want them to practice language skills,” he said. “I think they can learn something about the history of the country.”

Amity Scholar Claudia Schirmer attended the showing of “Run Lola Run,” and said students could learn more about the societies of the languages they are studying.

“In most of the movies, there is always a problem of society that is discussed, and it helps the students to learn about that,” she said.

Sophomore Ashley Sims said she enjoys watching the films.

“The films often have a lot of humor different than (that of) American films,” Sims said. There are a lot of cultural ideas that are shown.

Along with cultural benefits, the movies also provide an opportunity for students to learn more about the languages.

“Even though you can’t really understand anything when they’re talking in another language, you can still hear the accent,” sophomore Justine Greve said. “It helps your ear to hear native people talking in a conversational sense.”

Joyce said culture and language are both important when professors and students select films to show.

“We try to get ones that are critically acclaimed or well-known in whatever culture they come from,” she said.

Joyce said a film selected by the French students will be shown on Oct. 17. La Rosa said “The Devil’s Backbone” about the Spanish Civil War is scheduled for 7 p.m. Oct. 31.

“It’s really a very well-done film,” he said. “It will certainly grab your attention.”