Gathright wins national championship

Story by Sara

Senior Jeremy Gathright became a national champion in the 400-meter dash during the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships on Saturday in Marion, Ind.

Gathright cruised by his opponents with a time of 46.62 seconds, but his honors did not stop there. He is also the national runner-up in the men’s triple jump and an All-American in the long jump.

Aside from Gathright’s three All-America accolades, members of the Baker track and field teams were able to accumulate 10 other national honors.

Sophomore Tyler Sloan also became an All-American in three events, as she took third in the 400 and 100-meter hurdles and anchored the fifth place 4×100-meter relay team. The other members of the relay squad include sophomore Diamond Griffith, freshman Khadijah Lane and freshman Lauren Allen-Brown.

Baker made an impression early on in the national meet, as four Wildcats placed in the top seven of their respective events on day one.

Three Wildcats competed in the javelin on Thursday and all three throwers stood on the podium as All-Americans later that day. Junior Stephanie Nelson finished as the national-runner up in the women’s javelin with a mark of 47.22 meters. Junior Katelyn Wolken placed seventh, and junior Cody Viergever completed the sweep with a sixth place finish in the men’s javelin.

Junior Katie Thurbon was the Wildcats’ fourth All-American during the first day, as she finished in a tie for second place in the pole vault.

Senior Aaron Caldwell rounded out the All-Americans on Baker’s men’s team, as he ran the fourth fastest time in the men’s marathon.

Sophomore Kayla Hannam and senior Lauren Breithaupt earned All-America honors during their first trips to the NAIA outdoor championships.

Hannam placed eighth in the women’s triple jump with a mark of 11.68 meters. Breithaupt finished sixth in the women’s 5,000 meter-race walk with a time 27:31 minutes.

With the 13 Wildcats’ All-Americans, the women’s team finished sixth overall and the men’s team placed 11th.

• Gathright wins national championship

Cross Country

Cofer excels at Maple Leaf Invitational

• Gathright wins national championship

Bowling

New sports introduced to program

• Gathright wins national championship

Men's Soccer

Jacobs leads men’s soccer into conference play

• Gathright wins national championship

Track finishes season by hosting conference meet

• Gathright wins national championship

Sports

Joyner: Sportscaster of the year

• Gathright wins national championship

Sports

Track honors coach Zach Kindler with meet

• Gathright wins national championship

Sports

Tennis ends season at conference

• Gathright wins national championship

Softball

Softball earns best record in history

• Gathright wins national championship

Golf

Men’s golf finishes sixth in the Heart

• Gathright wins national championship

Sports

Baker falls to MVC to end regular season