Orange continues monthly publication, online-first philosophy

Story by Sara Bell, Editor

Over the years, the Baker Orange has always had a commitment to providing Baker University with timely coverage of campus and community news.

While that promise has never altered, the award-winning paper had to change the way it distributed its content in 2012.

Last fall, the Baker Orange switched to an online-first mindset. At the time, I was unsure if the experiment would be successful but after the first few weeks, those fears quickly diminished.<br/>

Now, I’ve not only changed my mind entirely, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

As online and social media continue to grow, journalists are challenged to publish quality stories quickly. The Orange staff hopes to keep providing this type of news through our website, thebakerorange.com.

As we did during the 2012-2013 school year, the student-led staff will publish new stories each week but will only print a 16-page paper once a month.

While the Orange went through many changes in the previous year, it’s not done developing.

The staff is under new leadership, as the responsibilities of the editor-in-chief are now separated into two positions. Senior Tera Lyons has taken over as the print editor, meaning she is responsible for designing each monthly publication. As the online editor, I’m in charge of updating the website and managing all content.

Xiomara Nunez, KNBU-TV and KNBU-FM station manager, will also play a key role for the Orange this year. The KNBU-TV staff is now entirely partnered with the Baker Orange. Members of the TV staff will no longer produce the Wildcat Watch, but instead contribute weekly video packages to thebakerorange.com.

With this convergence, viewers can expect regular multimedia content that accompanies stories on the web.

In addition to these leadership changes, the staff is also working to share its content through convenient outlets.

The Orange is looking to utilize our social media accounts to provide breaking news and other campus information. Follow @bakerorange on Twitter and like the Baker Orange Facebook page to receive all news and entertainment updates.

Wildcat fans should also follow @bakersports to stay up to date on all of Baker’s sports teams.

If relying on social media isn’t enough, readers can also receive updates through our weekly email newsletter. To subscribe, simply visit our website and click on the button in the top right corner.

While the Orange staff is working hard to provide Baker University with timely information, we also want to hear from faculty, students, community members and alumni. The editorial board welcomes all guest columnists, letters to the editor or story suggestions. All of these listed items can be emailed to [email protected].