‘Unique’ musical tour expands boundaries

When she was a music education student at the University of Missouri Kansas City, Kristin Hayes spent a large part of her time honing in on her instrument of choice, the flute. But the closer she came to getting her master’s degree in flute performance, the harder it was for her to play.

Temporomandibular joint disorders, carpal tunnel, tendonitis and several more injuries took Hayes’ fervor for the flute and replaced it with pain and suffering, to the point that she could not even perform upon completion of her education.

This “de-habilitating fear and depression” is what led Hayes to explore the world of “somatic-based movement philosophies,” something that she will be holding a session over at 11 a.m. on Sept. 24 in McKibbin Recital Hall.

“The main philosophy is ‘you are the first instrument,’” Hayes said. “For me, this philosophy means that I don’t need the flute attached to my face. You experience the music a different way. It’s a part of everything I do. It just helped me learn how to play again.”

Dalcroze eurhythmics, the somatic-based philosophy, is when experience creates understanding. Hayes said it’s about “embodying the music physically through your movement,” something she believes to be important.

In addition to her classes, her percussionist partner and longtime boyfriend Eric Peterson will hold classes for Baker percussion students. The duo will also perform for a guest recital at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 24 in McKibbin Recital Hall.

Their combination of flute and vibraphone is new to Baker’s campus and the music world as a whole. Hayes believes that because college students are more willing to step out of their comfort zones, they can learn to be “entrepreneurs in the music field.”

Professor of Music J.D. Parr foresees the unique blend of flute and percussion will give students an exposure to music that is otherwise unseen in this region.

“We are kind of sheltered here in the Midwest,” Parr said. “I hope this experience will open (students’) ears to music that they can rarely see around here. It’s a new, fresh perspective on modern music.”

Hayes met Parr at the Blue Lakes Fine Arts camp in Michigan and a friendship blossomed from there. When Parr was told that the duo was touring in the region, he set up a time when they could come and let BU students hear something new.

Peterson and Hayes went back and forth trying to find words to describe their public recital. They threw around adjectives such as “fun,” “different,” “modern” and “accessible,” but none of them seemed right.

“I guess there isn’t really a definition for what we do,” Peterson said. “At the very basic, we hope students leave thinking that there is a lot of new stuff going on out there. It’s different than what might be expected, the idea that there (is) all sorts of stuff, which students don’t know about. We just want to give them a new perspective.”