Improv troupe provides ‘spirit of fun’

With more than 75 student activities and organizations at Baker, choosing which ones to be a part of can a challenge for some students. Loud Noises, a short-form improvisation group, provides an unscripted option.

“There are a lot of campus organizations out there,” Brandon Haefke, a junior as well as one of two captains of the group, said. “This one has a spirit of fun as well, though. That spirit of fun is what I look forward to.”

Haefke believes the reception for Loud Noises has been positive so far and that the audience has enjoyed this semester’s shows. However, the organization is looking for more performance opportunities.

Sophomore Loud Noises member Dante Simmons said that there are usually two shows per semester, a mid-semester and end-semester show. However, he said the idea for a “charity show” is being discussed.

Loud Noises holds tryouts for primary members at the beginning of every year. Depending on the level of interest, they may have a second semester tryout as well. The group has several new members this year.

“New members have been pretty receptive,” Haefke said. “They’ve done a pretty good job.”

Students who don’t become a primary member could end up being a part of the troupe as an alternate, who would fill in for any members at a particular show.

As a primary member, sophomore Dustin Keen knows just why he enjoys Loud Noises.

“I love theater and (improvisation),” Keen said. “I just love acting, to be honest.”

Keen became a member of Loud Noises due to his background in improvisation, as he was in theater in high school. He also did “improv activities” in forensics as well. Joining Loud Noises was no mistake for Keen.

“There are a bunch of great people and I’m also improving my improv skills,” Keen said.