Men’s basketball falls to Benedictine, C-SC

Story by Chad Mullens, Writer

The Baker University men’s basketball team fell to 9-15 on the season Thursday after losing to the No. 16 Benedictine College 62-51 in Collins Center.

“I’m not disappointed with their effort at all,” head coach Sean Dooley said.

Effort was not the problem for the Wildcats. Execution, however, was lacking as Baker shot 15-49 from the floor. The 31-percent mark was its worst shooting performance of the season.

Only two players, freshman Javeion Gray and junior EJ Carter, scored in double figures. Gray led with 15 and Carter chipped in 13.

“I thought our guys did a nice job on the defensive end,” Dooley said. “We were able to create some turnovers, but not enough.”

After falling behind 36-27 at the half, Baker tried to chip away at the Benedictine lead, but the Wildcats were never able to reduce the gap to fewer than seven points.

“The first time we played these guys, we gave up a lot of second-chance points and points in the paint, but we did a better job there.”

In fact, Baker held an advantage over Benectine in both categories, as well as offensive rebounds. However, the Wildcats shot just 6-22 in the second half.

The highlight of the game came with 6:07 left in the second half, when Carter threw down a dunk against Benedictine’s Jallen Wassersmith to cut the Ravens’ lead to nine.

The Wildcats lost their second straight game on Saturday after a 100-96 shootout with the No. 10 Culver-Stockton College Wildcats.

BU followed its worst scoring output of the season with a tie for its best offensive effort of the year. All five starters scored in double figures, led by Carter’s 18.<br/>

As well as Baker performed on offense, its defense was not able to keep up with Culver-Stockton’s top five attack, giving up 100 points on 52 percent shooting. That included 11 3-pointers and 19 free throws. Baker stayed aggressive throughout, attempting 36 free throws and making 29 of them. Senior Todd Johnston led the team by going 8-8 from the line.

The game was tied 51-all at the half, and Baker came out in the second half on a mission. In the first 5:30 of the second period, Carter led a 14-6 run that gave Baker an eight-point lead. The visiting Wildcats were able to maintain the lead until 9:00 left in the game, when Culver-Stockton’s James Johnson tied the game at 70. Johnson led C-SC with 24 points, nine rebounds, four assists and two blocks.

The 19-5 Culver-Stockton team was able to take control of the game, leading by as many as 10 as time ticked away for Baker. BU managed to keep the game close, pulling to within three points twice in the last minute, but Culver-Stockton was able to hit enough of its free throws to seal the victory.

With the loss, the Wildcats’ record fell to 9-16 overall. Their next game will be at 7:30 Thursday in Collins Center. The Wildcats will be taking on the Avila University Eagles, who are 5-18 and currently tied with Baker at the bottom of the HAAC standings at 3-11. BU fell 92-87 to the Eagles earlier this season.