Vespers to induce holiday spirit

Story by Sarah Baker, Editor

The 84th Annual Christmas Candlelight Vespers is just around the corner. The longstanding Baker tradition, full of festive songs performed by members of the Baker community, will be held Dec. 7 at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. in Rice Auditorium.

This year’s concert will feature all the university’s choirs, including the brass, percussion and string ensembles, the orchestra and a few sing-a-long opportunities for the audience. Some guest adult brass players will join the concert choir in the opening set as well. This year’s Vespers will also contain a special poem reading by President Lynne Murray and a benediction by Minister to the University Kevin Hopkins.

The concert will highlight many holiday classics, such as “Silent Night,” “Deck the Halls,” “Angels We Have Heard on High” and “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”

Junior Aubrey Eicher, who will be singing with the choirs, has had a lot of fun preparing the festive music. For her and many other students, the concert is a great way to start the holiday season.

“Performing on Vespers in one of my favorite times of year,” Eicher said. “It is perfect for getting you into the spirit of the holidays.”

This is the second year for Interim Director of Choral Ensembles Cathy Crispino to coordinate the event. She selects music for the choirs to sing and communicates with the directors of the other ensembles and groups.

Crispino likes how the event serves as a break for students, allowing them “to hit pause on their life” for an hour.

“We’ve made sure that it is a program that is short and sweet and just right,” Crispino said. “So you can get back to your studies for finals.”

The concert represents all areas of the music department from the brass quintet to the orchestra to the concert choir.

Senior Jacob Mogle, a French horn player, has participated in Vespers a few times and loves to be a part of the event.

“I always enjoy celebrating the spirit of the season with our Baker community at Vespers each year,” Mogle said. “I’m so appreciative of all those who make it possible. It’s definitely a highlight of my year.”