Men’s team wins big on Valentine’s Day

Men’s team wins big on Valentine’s Day

Story by Antonio Adgers, Writer

The Wildcats split Valentine’s Day weekend with a 53-49 loss to the No. 11 Benedictine College Ravens on Feb. 12 then an 85-71 win against the Culver-Stockton College Wildcats on Feb. 14. The Wildcats now sit in ninth place in the Heart of America Athletic Conference at 9-15 overall and 3-11 in conference play.

On Thursday at Atchison, the ‘Cats fought hard but were not able to overcome the Raven’s 53.3 field goal percentage.

Senior guard EJ Carter chipped in with a game-high 20 points along with 5 rebounds in the Wildcats’ efforts.

“I was just being aggressive,” Carter said. “I kept attacking and getting to the free-throw line, and after that it was free lunch.”

Carter went 100 percent from the free-throw line hitting all 8 of his attempts. Freshman Gregg Easter also went 100 percent from the charity stripe cashing in on 3 of his 9 points from the line along with 2 steals to add to his stat line. Senior guard Jared Fulks contributed 9 points of his own.

With the win, Benedictine improved to 20-5 on the year and 9-4 in conference play.

The ‘Cats had a chance at redemption on Saturday against Culver-Stockton in Baldwin City, and they cashed in on the opportunity. The last time these teams met Baker led by 17 points in the second half, but Culver-Stockton came back to win 64-61 in the final seconds.

in Saturday’s rematch, the ‘Cats shot 53 percent from the field, 74 percent from the free-throw line and 40 percent from behind the arc. On top of the Baker men’s shooting efficiency, they outrebounded Culver-Stockton 41-20 while grabbing 13 total offensive boards.

Several Baker Wildcats had impressive games including sophomore guard Javeion Gray, who had 17 points, 10 rebounds and 2 steals.

“It was just a good game all around,” Gray said. “Everything was just working for us. We were just playing ball and we walked away with a good win.”

Three other Baker men scored in double digits in the win against Culver-Stockton. Junior forward Manuel Barnes scored a career-high 18 points and grabbed 7 rebounds. Freshman Gregg Easter had 14 points of his own, and freshman Daniel Young had 10 points with 6 rebounds.

The Wildcats are hoping to leave January’s misery in the past and move forward with a better month of February as they look forward to the conference tournament in March.

The Baker men will face off against Avila University at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday in Kansas City, Missouri, as they look to get another conference win on the road against a beatable opponent.

Then the team comes back home to play the top team in the conference, the Evangel Crusaders, on Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Collins Center.

• Men’s team wins big on Valentine’s Day

Men's Basketball

‘Cats end season in Heart tourney

Seniors celebrate last home game with victories

Men's Basketball

Baker downs Benedictine on Senior Day

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball picks up third-straight win

Men's Basketball

‘Cats defeat Eagles in 85-65 win

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball improves to 3-0

• Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball starts season 2-0

• Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball falls in Heart conference quarterfinals

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball advances to Heart tournament quarterfinals

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball prepares for Heart tournament