Baker should return to Wildcat Wire system

Story by The Baker Orange Editorial Board

A few years ago, Baker students received the Wildcat Wire. It was sent out on some weekdays and listed all the things faculty, staff and administrators thought students needed (well, using their definition) to know for our day. This would include blood drives, Greek Week events and due dates for housing applications, all of the things we receive emails for now – but in one concise place.

Back then, everyone was outraged. “One email a day?! What will I do!”

Now, the editorial board is calling for an overhaul reverting back to the old system.

Honestly, probably only our editor reads most of the emails sent campus-wide, solely out of editorial duty. The rest of us, not so much. Even teachers have complained about the nuisance that is waking up to seven emails from Dean of Students Cassy Bailey – love her but not her emails – mostly about things that do not concern everyone on the entire mailing list.

Non-Greeks receive Greek Week emails, graduating seniors get notifications of enrollment, teachers are faced with invitations to attend parties they might be too old and boring to attend. The current system is just not practical.

We students get at least 100 notifications a day, ranging anywhere from calendar alerts to text messages, and emails are probably the least of our worries.

Granted, it’s important that we receive most of these invitations or notifications. With a campus our size, one of the challenges with spreading the word is that people do not really care. At least with an email, they have to glance at the subject before deciding to delete it, unread.

At the opposite end, the Wildcat Wire allowed students to submit email requests, giving them the chance to voice their opinions and concerns and announce other existing campus events to be shared with the entire campus. With our current email, we theoretically could email Bailey and ask that she send an email out, but that would be just another drop in the bucket.

Emails are a tried and true way of reaching a massive selected audience. The Orange sends out an email to our mailing list often as well (this isn’t a plug, but if it was, we would tell you to sign up for it) and even that doesn’t get opened by all the people who voluntarily receive it.

Not everyone will read the Wildcat Wire, but we think it is a more concise, and definitely less annoying, way of reaching college students. By limiting the amount of emails students receive daily, there is a greater likelihood that each email might be opened and possibly even read.