SAC to host educational and social events

Story by Whitney Silkey, Assistant News Editor

Student Activities Council, better known as SAC, has been back in the full swing of things the past few weeks. SAC members have already hosted several events during Wildcat Welcome week, including comedian Collin Moulton and magician Daniel Martin, and two more events are scheduled for the first two weeks of September.

Perhaps the most successful event that SAC hosts several times throughout the year is Grocery Bingo.

“This is probably my favorite event in SAC,” SAC President Jami Sanborn said. “Any event we have with food brings people together … I like to see the competitive spirit.”

The first Grocery Bingo event of the year is at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10, in Mabee Gym.

“There’s about a 1-in-6 chance of winning,” Randy Flowers, director of student life, said. “Every college student needs more groceries.”

Apart from the entertainment and social events that SAC members organize, they also host several educational events throughout the year. One such event is the Intersection of Two Lives program, which is at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 3, in McKibbin Recital Hall. Intersection of Two Lives is a presentation by Detective Jay Armbrister from the Douglas County Sheriff’s office about his experience with drunk driving.

“He’s talking about the repercussions of drunk driving and how to prevent it,” Sanborn said. “I definitely think it is important because we’re at a time in our lives where it’s a social norm to drink.”

This is the fourth year this program has been presented at Baker.

SAC held its first meeting of the year on Tuesday, Sept. 1, and several new students were there to get involved with the organization.

Freshman Emily Riggs attended the meeting and said, “Being in SAC I’m excited to be able to do work behind the scenes and also enjoy the activities with my friends, too.”

SAC meets at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday in the basement of the Long Student Center.