Men’s basketball looks to overcome losses

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The Wildcats hope to overcome two consecutive losses when they play their first conference matchup on Wednesday at Avila. The ‘Cats fell to Ottawa, 91-87, at home on Nov. 10 and then in an exhibition match against an NCAA Division 2 team, William Jewell College, 88-75, on Friday.

Baker beat Ottawa in their first matchup of the season, but this time a strong second half put Ottawa on top. The game started with an 11-2 run by Baker, and the Wildcats even had a 19-point lead at one point. By the middle of the second half, Ottawa tied the game and eventually took the lead, and the ‘Cats could not come back.

The Wildcats were 48 percent shooting from the field, but the Braves were 54 percent from the field. Javeion Gray had 18 points and six rebounds and Tyrome Parker contributed 15 more points for Baker. Gregg Easter led the ‘Cats with eight assists.

In the exhibition game, William Jewell tallied 13 three-pointers to surpass the Wildcats, with six of those coming in the first half.

After being down 41-32 at the half, Baker came out hot. A 9-2 run started the second half of the game and narrowed the score to a two-point game.

The ‘Cats were 46 percent from the field. Freshman Clae Martin and sophomore Easter were Baker’s leading scorers for the night. Martin totaled 12 points and Easter added 11.

The Wildcats will now take on Avila on Wednesday at Mabee Fieldhouse to begin their Heart of America Athletic Conference schedule. The Eagles are currently 5-0 to start the 2015-16 season.