Baker and Baldwin voices will join in concert

Story by Abigaile Roorda, Writer

Baker University voices will join with those of the community in “One Voice: A Baldwin Community Concert.” The performance will be at 7 p.m. on March 8 in the Baldwin High School Performing Arts Center.

“It’s a celebration of the town and the university,” Director of Choral Ensembles Cathy Crispino said.

This concert will feature the Baker University choirs, the Baldwin High School choir and the Baldwin Academy of Dance and Voice.

“To me, it’s bringing a bunch of people together who enjoy singing and making music,” junior Rachel Moore said. “The more people you have singing one piece of music, the bigger the sound and the bigger the response from the crowd.”

The choirs will feature a diverse mix of voices, from children to senior citizens. This concert has been organized by the Baker University Department of Music and Theatre.

“As a former choir member, I really enjoy listening to the variety of music they present,” sophomore Victoria Cantrell said, “and watching my own friends express themselves through song.”

Following this concert, Crispino encourages students and community members to join the Baker University Community Choir. This choir meets only during the school year on Thursday nights at 6 p.m. The singers will soon begin to prepare for the spring concert in May.

Last spring, the Baker University bands held a similar concert with the Baldwin High School band. Crispino hopes to continue this concert in the future as the bands and the choirs alternate each year.

“Coming to this concert doesn’t just support the Baker choirs,” freshman Sarah Herron said. “It supports the community of choirs in Baldwin.”

Crispino has a passion for song and she hopes that the joy of singing will affect all who attend.

“Singing is something that we all can enjoy,” Crispino said. “It brings a feeling of community, energy and power together that is felt by those performing and the audience.”