‘Nixon’s Nixon’: a political play for a political year

Sophomore Jason Shipps, as President Richard Nixon, and his Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, played by freshman Noah Hastings, in the Baker University fall production of 'Nixon's Nixon.' Image by Shelby Stephens.

Shelby Stephens

Shelby Stephens

Story by Abigaile Roorda, Writer

The first theatrical production this semester is a satire about one of the United States’ most scandalous presidents. Nixon’s Nixon, written by Russell Lees, is a two-man play about a conversation between President Richard Nixon and his Secretary of State Henry Kissinger on the eve of Nixon’s resignation from the presidency.

The cast consists of only two actors. Sophomore Jason Shipps is set to play Richard Nixon and freshman Noah Hastings will play Henry Kissinger.

“Richard Nixon was the only president in history to resign from office,” Shipps said. “On the surface, he appeared to be a well-spoken, well-mannered person; however, that was not the case.”

The play is set the night before Nixon’s resignation. Since no one actually knows what was said in this meeting, the play introduces a theory about what could have been said.

“It’s a satirical look that’s peppered with facts,” Production Manager Patti Heiman said. “It brings to focus some of the worst features of Nixon’s career.”

Shipps says the play is educational but still entertaining. Even if someone doesn’t like politics or history, there is still a lot of humor and humanity.

Heiman encourages students to attend this production to see the unique approach taken by the two actors. Shipps and Hastings have conducted a lot of research to bring a real-life quality to the historical figures they are portraying.

“You can always do better when your actors are excited,” Heiman said.

Hastings spoke about the bond of the cast and crew over the past few weeks leading up to the premiere as this is his first play at Baker.

“Working with the cast and crew has been a ton of fun,” Hastings said. “I’ve really bonded with Jason Shipps.”

Nixon’s Nixon will run for four performances, starting at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 6, in Rice Auditorium. Performances will continue on Friday and Saturday at that same time. The final showing will be a matinee at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9.

• ‘Nixon’s Nixon’: a political play for a political year

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Million Little Things’ has decent plot, relies too much on drama

Arts & Entertainment

“A Star is (truly) Born”

Arts & Entertainment

Real Life or Fantasy: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

Arts & Entertainment

A&E Editor offers guide to late night talk shows

Arts & Entertainment

‘Beyond a Text’: New exhibit documents creation of the book

Arts & Entertainment

Local artist displays sculptures in new show

Arts & Entertainment

Theatre performs ‘James and the Giant Peach’

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Nun’ falls short of expectations

Arts & Entertainment

Concert crazy: Hemingson and Todden attend multiple events each year

Arts & Entertainment

Battlefront II attempts to redeem reputation