Larger-than-life outdoor sculpture promotes October art show

Shelby Stephens

David Platter cleans off his sculpture titled “Myself and Other,” which will be on display outside of Parmenter Hall during most of October. Image by Shelby Stephens.

Story by Spencer Brown, Assistant News Editor

A five-times life-size sculpture will sit outside of Parmenter Hall for much of the month of October to promote the newest exhibit in the Holt-Russell Gallery.

“We hope to gain greater exposure to the programs we are doing,” Director of the Holt-Russell Gallery and Assistant Professor of Art Russell Horton said. “Basically, we hope to have the students and staff interact with the gallery more. And what a better way to do that than have a big, shiny face outside?”

Sculptor David Platter’s work is only one of a handful of exhibits to be presented in the gallery since its reopening last spring. This is the first time that an artist’s work has been on display outside of the gallery since the reopening.

“I’m hoping that more people actually realize that we have a gallery,” sophomore Blythe Smith, who is a student worker for the Holt-Russell Gallery, said.

The sculpture, titled “Myself and Other,” is a representation of Platter’s work within the exhibit, as it shares the same name.

“This does a good job of introducing the show,” Platter said. “I feel like it is challenging the way we understand ourselves. Even as the maker, I still consider myself as a participant, a viewer. It really makes me think of how our perception can be distorted. And the show plays on different facets of that idea.”

Platter, who is currently the chair of the Department of Art at Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, Missouri, has had his art on display in a number of regional public places. However, this is the first time in almost a year that this piece out of Platter’s collection has been on display.

“I love that it is outside,” he said. “It is kind of a dream for it to be outside.”

The Holt-Russell gallery will begin the “Myself and Other” exhibit on Oct. 6 and will run through Oct. 24. Inside, there will be an estimated four traditional sculptures and approximately five photos.

A reception for Platter and the opening of his exhibit will take place from 3:30 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 6.