The Student News Site of Baker University

Soccer earns two against Graceland

Senior captain Kady Dieringer is playing the midfield this season. As a senior on the team she is a vital component to many of the team's set-pieces and key plays.

Elizabeth Hanson

Elizabeth Hanson

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

The Baker women’s soccer team picked up its second win of the season Wednesday, against the Graceland Yellowjackets, in a 2-0 victory at Liston Stadium.

The Wildcats filled the first half with seven shots, but the ’Cats weren’t able to capitalize until the 45th minute of the game. Graceland goalkeeper Manaia Siania Unufoa fouled senior Megan Johnson inside the box, earning a yellow and giving Johnson a penalty kick.

Johnson scored on the penalty kick giving Baker a 1-0 lead in the first half. Johnson now leads the team with three goals for the season.

The Wildcats worked to extend their lead in the second half, earning another goal, this time, from sophomore Jenna Lattimer in the 65th minute, assisted by Johnson.

Baker held Graceland to just two shots in the 90 minutes played, and Baker senior goalkeeper Rachel Hunt recorded one save during the match.

The women’s soccer team improves to 2-3-2 overall with a 2-0 Heart conference start.

Men’s Soccer

The Baker men’s soccer team followed the women’s team with a win of its own against the Yellowjackets Wednesday night.

The No. 7 ranked Wildcats defeated Graceland  3-0 earning their second-straight Heart conference win and third-straight shutout victory.

Junior Steeve Pouna earned the first goal of the night in the eighth minute off an assist from senior Blake Levine.

Baker maintained its 1-0 lead for the remainder of the first half, outshooting the Yellowjackets five to three.

The Wildcats continued their dominance into the second half where junior Gonnie Ben-Tal doubled Baker’s lead with a header in the 52nd minute. Levine was credited with the assist on Ben-Tal’s goal, earning his second assist of the night.

Graceland goalkeeper Liam Smith wasn’t able to stop Ben-Tal a second time, as he earned his second goal of the night in the 59th minute, once again assisted by Levine.

The Wildcats defeated Graceland 3-0, improving to 6-1-1 overall.

Levine now leads the team with seven assists total, and Ben-Tal leads the team in goals with four.

Next Match

Both the Baker men’s and women’s teams will now travel to face the Grand View Vikings on Saturday, Sept. 23 in Des Moines, Iowa.

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer ends season in Delray Beach

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer ends tournament run in second round

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer punches ticket to Florida

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men’s soccer advances to championship match

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer advances to Heart semifinals

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer ties MNU 1-1

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Soccer defeats Evangel at home

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Soccer continues Heart winning streak

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

No. 12 Baker defeats Clarke 2-0 in Heart opener

• Soccer earns two against Graceland

Men's Soccer

Didic begins training with Sporting KC