Woods breaks record in 49-0 CMU shutout

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

The No. 2 ranked Baker Wildcats celebrated senior day with a 49-0 shutout victory against Central Methodist last Saturday at Liston Stadium.

While the day was focused on the seniors’ accomplishments over their time on the team, eyes were on freshman JD Woods, who had 313 yards on 28 attempts, breaking Baker’s single-game record for rushing yards.

Sophomore Tywonn Moss started the scoring for the Wildcats, catching a 6-yard pass from freshman quarterback Marco Aguinaga. In Aguinaga’s first career start for Baker against CMU, he completed 31 out of 37 attempts for 233 yards.

After a field goal from senior Clarence Clark, the ‘Cats led CMU 7-0 going into the second quarter. Clark would go on to complete all seven extra point attempts for the Wildcats.

In the second quarter, Woods earned two of his four touchdowns of the game. Woods had a 54-yard touchdown run followed by a 13-yard touchdown later in the quarter. Clark ended the half with a 13-yard touchdown pass from Aguinaga, putting the Wildcats up 38-0 going into the second half.

Woods started the third quarter with a 10-yard touchdown run, only to be outdone by his fourth touchdown run of the day totaling 80 yards. At the end of the third quarter, Baker led the Eagles 42-0.

In the fourth quarter, freshman Ronald Allen ran in an 11-yard touchdown for a final score of 49-0.

The Wildcat defense held the Eagles to just 224 total yards and 12 completed passes. Sophomore Ryan Workman led the Baker defense with seven tackles.

With the Wildcat’s 26th-straight win over a Heart of America Athletic Conference opponent, Baker improves to 9-0 for the season.

Baker will now travel to face Missouri Valley College at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday in Marshall, Missouri.