Men’s basketball improves to 3-0

Alex Fortuna

Sophomore Jesus Izquierdo drives the ball down the court against KCC.

Story by Bailey Conklin, Sports Editor

The Wildcats earned their third-straight victory over the weekend with an 89-73 win against Haskell Indian Nations University.

Baker was the first on the board, earning a 7-0 lead after the first three minutes of the game. At the half, the team led Haskell 42-33. Haskell had its biggest lead against the Wildcats in the first half, leaving Baker to trail by just two points.

Baker shot 50 percent from the floor and 60 percent from the three-point line in the first half. Haskell shot 49 percent from the floor and 41 percent from three-point range.

The ‘Cats pulled away in the second half, earning their biggest lead of 19 points with 4:47 left in the game. Baker maintained the lead to defeat Haskell 89-73, picking up the team’s third win.

Senior Brock Mick led the Wildcats with 24 points against Haskell, going 3-4 from the three-point line. Junior Clae Martin hit six three-pointers, earning 20 points and 5 rebounds.

Two other ‘Cats were in double digits against Haskell. Sophomore Vandy Hopson scored 13 points and senior Stephen Edwards picked up 11 points.

The Wildcats shot 58 percent from the field and 61 percent from three-point range in the second half.

Senior Nathan Guscott led the team with 10 rebounds, while Martin and senior Tyree Peter had five each.

Baker will now travel for the next three games. The Wildcats will first face Washburn University for an exhibition game at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Topeka, Kansas.