Men’s golf finishes sixth in the Heart

Senior+Riley+Kemmer+watches+closely+as+he+finishes+a+chip+shot+during+the+Baker+Spring+Invitational+at+Eagle+Bend+Golf+Course+on+April+19.+Kemmer+tied+for+second+place+with+rounds+of+76%2C+75+and+72%2C+just+one+stroke+above+the+tournament+champion.+

Alex Fortuna

Senior Riley Kemmer watches closely as he finishes a chip shot during the Baker Spring Invitational at Eagle Bend Golf Course on April 19. Kemmer tied for second place with rounds of 76, 75 and 72, just one stroke above the tournament champion.

Story by Nathalia Barr, Managing Editor

The men’s golf team rounded out the spring season on Tuesday taking sixth at the Heart of America Athletic Conference Championship. The Wildcats traveled to Galena, Illinois to take on eight other teams, and finished with a final score of 946. William Penn finished on top with a score of 914.

Senior Riley Kemmer finished tied for third place with Missouri Valley’s Grant Numrich. Kemmer finished with rounds of 78, 72 and 75, just five strokes ahead of the tournament champion.

“Between playing in tournaments and spending almost every day on the course practicing, it gave me the confidence I needed for this season,” Kemmer said.

Kemmer has consistently been in the top five at each tournament this season, as well as in the fall season. He contributes his success to his work over the summer.

“It’s really easy to have mental lapses,” Kemmer said. “I definitely had a few that cost me some wins, but practice rounds are key to figuring out this game plan and how to play certain holes. Nothing prepares you more than playing, and you hope that carries over to the tournament.”

Senior Alec Wuellner and junior Kyle Barbee tied for 26th place and 28th place, respectively. Sophomore Payton Ruder came in 35th, and freshman Mason Ahlberg finished 39th.

Kemmer also attributed his success this season to his teammates.

“Having Nick (Delaquila), Alec (Wuellner) and Kyle (Barbee) to compete against in practice was motivation to keep getting better,” Kemmer said.

His final season as a Wildcat brought much success for the senior.

“It’s been a really good feeling to have been in contention in just about every tournament, but at the same time, falling a stroke or two short in just about every tournament is very disappointing,” Kemmer said. “It’s something that will motivate me for a long time.”

Although the men’s team is done, the women’s team will host and compete at the Heart Championship on Monday and Tuesday at Eagle Bend Golf Course.

The women’s team began the season on a high, taking first place at the Graceland Invitational. Junior Samantha Mitchell led Baker with a first-place individual finish.

Mitchell then tied for second at the Missouri Valley College Invitational. Senior Bailey Gibson and sophomore Annamarie Raybourn also earned top-10 places, taking sixth and eighth, respectively.

Mitchell was the top finisher for the Wildcats again at the Baker Invite, as she tied for fifth place leading the ‘Cats to a third-place team finish in their last tournament before conference.