Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Story by Will Hanson, Assistant A&E Editor

German fashion designer, Karl Lagerfeld, passed away on Feb. 19 at the age of 85. Lagerfeld was known for his role as the creative director at Chanel.

Lagerfeld was born in Hamburg, Germany on what was thought to be Sept. 10, 1933. Lagerfeld became of the most famous fashion designers in the world and never revealed his birthday to the public.

Lagerfeld constantly attempted to reinvent the fashion industry and himself. He began his life of mystery by removing the ‘t’ from his last name, which was originally Lagerfeldt.

Lagerfeld moved from fashion label to fashion label in an attempt to keep the fashion world on their toes. Reinvention was a large part of his legacy after he brought Chanel back from the brink and sold a personal label to Tommy Hilfiger.

Lagerfeld’s passing left a large mark to those in the fashion world and those not in the fashion world. Taking to Instagram, heiress Paris Hilton expressed her sadness over Lagerfeld’s death.

“Today we lost a true legend, icon and visionary. An inspiration to me since I was a little girl. Heaven is about to become more fashionable. You will be remembered, loved and missed,” Hilton said.

According to CBS, Lagerfeld’s iconic pet cat, Choupette, will be inheriting a piece of his $300 million net worth. Choupette currently has 294 thousand followers on Instagram and was receiving a steady income prior to her father’s death. Choupette is considered by many to be one of the wealthiest animals in the world.

Lagerfeld’s designs continue to live on after his death. Celebrity couple Jason Mamoa and Lisa Bonet honored Lagerfeld by wearing custom designs to the Academy Awards ceremony on Feb. 24.

Mamoa and Bonet weren’t the only ones honoring Lagerfeld at the awards ceremony. Tessa Thompson, of Thor fame, wore a black Chanel dress while presenting.

Lagerfeld’s cremation service was held on Feb. 22 with some of his closest friends and family in attendance. Editor-in-chief of Vogue, Anna Wintour, Princess Caroline of Monaco were some of the big names that attended the service.

Lagerfeld lived his life doing what he could to improve his working practices. Describing it as, “I am a sort of vampire, taking the blood of other people.”

About the Writer
Will Hanson, Assistant A&E Editor

Will Hanson is a freshman from Leawood, Kansas. He is a Mass Media major and is a member of the Zeta Chi fraternity. He has a passion for film, writing,...

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

“Survivor”: The tribe continues to speak after 19 years

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Don’t Panic! we are at the disco

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Ariana Grande faces controversies

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Will’s Oscars round up

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Marie Kondo: Sparking joy one heart at a time

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Ingrid Michelson’s “Songs for the Season”

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

“The Polar Express”: A Baldwin City holiday experience

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Baker symphonic band brings new life to winter concert

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

Top Five ‘Role Playing Game’ videogames

• Karl Lagerfeld: The death of an icon

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Million Little Things’ has decent plot, relies too much on drama