Wildcats fall to Grand View

Sophomore+Sam+Huckabee+gaining+yards+at+the+game+last+Saturday.+

Peyton Maulback

Sophomore Sam Huckabee gaining yards at the game last Saturday.

Story by Makenzie Musgrove, Sports Editor

The no. 8 ranked Baker University Wildcats football team hosted the no. 12 ranked Grandview University Vikings in the home opener at Liston Stadium this past Saturday on September 7, 2019. The Vikings offense started off hot as they received the ball to open the game and marched down the field to the nine-yard line.

The wildcats defense stayed strong and held the Vikings to a field goal. The Vikings would go on to score again finding the endzone a few offensive drives later to extend their lead to 10-0.

Offensive struggles hindered the wildcats all day as they were not able to find the end zone. It was not until the wildcat’s fourth offensive drive that they were able to get three points on the board off of a field goal from Ethan Barnard to bring the score to 10-3. This would be the score heading into halftime.

During halftime, the football field was dedicated to Don Parker, a Baker alum and avid Baker University supporter. It will now be known as Don Parker Field at Liston Stadium.

The Vikings would go on to score another touchdown late in the third quarter and add another field goal in the middle of the fourth quarter to make the final score 20-3. The Wildcats will look to get back on track as they travel to Graceland University to take on the 0-2 Yellowjackets.