Women’s Basketball tops Mount Mercy

Freshman+Leah+Vanweelden+dribbles+down+count+as+the+Wildcats+take+on+Clarke.+

Freshman Leah Vanweelden dribbles down count as the Wildcats take on Clarke.

Story by Makenzie Musgrove, Sports Editor

The Wildcats defeated the Mount Mercy Mustangs in the Collins Center on Sat. Feb. 15. to stay in the running for a spot in the Heart of America Conference tournament.

The Wildcats continue to battle through an injury-riddled season that has taken many key players out of their rotation. However, the Wildcats did not let that affect them against the Mustangs.

Both teams got off to a slow start and scoring was very minimal for the first few minutes. The Wildcats found themselves trailing 8-2 towards the end of the first quarter. But the Wildcats then got hot and went on an 8-0 run to take the lead 10-8. The Mustangs came away with the lead at the end of the first quarter 11-10.

The Wildcats continued to score in the second quarter, outscoring the Mustangs 20-8 to take a 30-19 lead into halftime. Coming out of halftime, the Wildcats looked to further their lead even more as they held a comfortable 47-28 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Mustangs fought their way back into the game throughout the fourth quarter. The Mustangs came within three points with just 15 seconds left in the game. But the Wildcats buckled down and came away with the victory by a score of 59-55.

It took a real team effort for the Wildcats to top the Mustangs as four different Wildcats scored in the double figures to contribute to the victory.

Leading the team in points was Madison Becker with 14 points, including 12 points from beyond the arc. Becker also contributed five rebounds.

The Wildcat’s next game is against Missouri Valley College at Baker University in the Collins Center tonight at 5:30 p.m.