Men’s golf finishes seventh at Heart tournament

Story by Jenna Black, Photo Editor

The Baker men’s golf team finished its season in seventh place in the Heart of America Athletic Conference Championship at Swope Memorial Golf Course in Kansas City, Missouri, on May 9-10.

Junior Christian Bickley tied for 23rd and was the highest Wildcat finisher. Bickley was closely followed by freshman Kyle Barbee in 25th place. Bickley shot consistently throughout the three rounds with a 77, 77 and 75. Barbee fell off with a second round total of 82 compared to his 75 and 73 first and third rounds.

Sophomore Alec Wuellner tied for 33rd by shooting a 78, 78 and 80. Junior Chad Phillips finished in a three-way tie for 36th and senior Grant Grego rounded out the top six Wildcats by tying for 43rd.

“We put together some good rounds with a couple people stepping up and shooting some low numbers the second day,” Wuellner said.

Grand View University took home the Heart title with a final tally of 871. Myles and Mitch Pfingsten, the top two finishers, gave Grand View the extra edge they needed to capture the title. Baker finished toward the middle of the pack at seventh out of the 11 teams.

Phillips looks forward to leading the team with Bickley next year in their senior season and hopes to finish higher in the Heart with the help of four new players.